Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Psalm 25:

1  Of David.

To you, O LORD,
 I lift up my soul.

Psa 25:2  O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame;
 do not let my enemies exult over me.

Psa 25:3  Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame;
 let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Psa 25:4  Make me to know your ways, O LORD;
 teach me your paths.

Psa 25:5  Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation;
 for you I wait all day long.

Psa 25:6  Be mindful of your mercy, O LORD, and of your steadfast love,
 for they have been from of old.

Psa 25:7  Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
 according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness' sake, O LORD!

Psa 25:8  Good and upright is the LORD;
 therefore he instructs sinners in the way.

Psa 25:9  He leads the humble in what is right,
 and teaches the humble his way.

Psa 25:10  All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness,
 for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

Psa 25:11  For your name's sake, O LORD,
pardon my guilt, for it is great.

Psa 25:12  Who are they that fear the LORD?
He will teach them the way that they should choose.

Psa 25:13  They will abide in prosperity,
 and their children shall possess the land.

Psa 25:14  The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him,
and he makes his covenant known to them.

Psa 25:15  My eyes are ever toward the LORD,
 for he will pluck my feet out of the net.

Psa 25:16  Turn to me and be gracious to me,
 for I am lonely and afflicted.

Psa 25:17  Relieve the troubles of my heart,
 and bring me out of my distress.

Psa 25:18  Consider my affliction and my trouble,
 and forgive all my sins.

Psa 25:19  Consider how many are my foes,
 and with what violent hatred they hate me.

Psa 25:20  O guard my life, and deliver me;
do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.

Psa 25:21  May integrity and uprightness preserve me,
 for I wait for you.

Psa 25:22  Redeem Israel, O God, out of all its troubles.

This Psalm seems to be two prayers woven together into a lament. This is both the prayer of a suffering individual who cannot find God, and as well as a communal expression of trust in God’s guidance. This Psalm has emerged over time as a prayer used in worship by the people of God. It allows us as individuals to bring our fears and distress to worship – while being held by the faith of the community.

Use the Psalm as your prayer for today. If possible pray it with another person – reading it responsively.    




Ordinary 24 / Pentecost +17
46 Beyond Forgiveness
The Scripture passage for the day is drawn from Reuben Job and Norman Shawchuck, A Guide to Prayer for Ministers and other Servants, (Nashville, The Upper Room 1983), 282.
This reflection is from my own devotional exercises for the day
.


No comments:

Post a Comment