Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Leadership

2 Corinthians 2:3: 
And I wrote this very thing to you, so that when I came I would not have sadness from those who ought to make me rejoice, since I am confident in you all that my joy would be yours.

Paul visits Corinth for the first time, spending about 18 months there (Acts 18:11). The second time he visited the Corinthian church this was a "painful visit" (2 Corinthians 2:1). Paul reassures the people of Corinth that they will not have another painful visit because of the love he has for them.

Here is a leader who cares for his people enough to visit them, write to them, and when necessary - speak bluntly to them about difficulties. We all can learn from his combination of compassion and straight talking. Good leaders are able to speak truth and take tough decisions without sacrificing compassion and caring.


If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
............ you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling 1865–1936. Source: A Choice of Kipling's Verse (1943)


Ordinary 23
45 Forgiveness
The Scripture passage for the day is drawn from Reuben Job and Norman Shawchuck, A Guide to Prayer for Ministers and other Servants, (Nashville, The Upper Room 1983), 276.
This reflection is from my own devotional exercises for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment