Saturday, January 26, 2013

Reconciliation

Joh 21:15-19  When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs."  A second time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Tend my sheep."  He said to him the third time, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.  Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go." (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, "Follow me."

This is one of the great “reconciliation” passages in the Bible. It was written nearly one hundred years after Jesus, at a time when the Christ-followers were divided between those who believed they needed to follow Jesus from a Jewish culture, and those who practiced the teachings of Jesus but had no wish to be Jewish. This passage seems address this bitter disagreement by reminding the readers that the way of Jesus demands reconciliation.

The three-fold question of Jesus to Peter serves to remind him of his boast that he would never fail Jesus (Matt 26:31-33). This moment allows Peter to undo his three-fold denial of Jesus.  While Peter’s denial of Jesus was a bitter betrayal by a best friend, Jesus sets the example: he makes the first move towards healing the rift.

John’s account challenges every generation of Christians to live the way of peace-making and reconciliation. Whether it was the first century community divided by the practice of Jewish culture, or today’s contemporary Christian world divided by issues such as homosexuality, and the way we read the Bible – the expectation of Jesus remains the same: reach out to the one who has insulted / failed / deserted you and make peace. Think of one person who is estranged to you and make it your New Year’s intention to reconcile with them.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to be the first to stretch out my hand to that person who has hurt me. And may your peace guide our healing. Amen      

 

 Third Sunday after Epiphany
“The Call to Ministry”
(Scripture reference page 65 A Guide to Prayer for Ministers and other Servants)

 

1 comment: